[ntp:questions] Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Thomas Tornblom thomas at Hax.SE
Thu Mar 22 16:35:51 UTC 2007

It is sad to see the pool.ntp.org initiative being jeopardized by some
childish vendetta from one of the participants against the customers
of one of the largest, if not the largest, ISP in Sweden :-(

I was glad when I found out about the pool initiative, and immediately
set up my systems and gadgets to use the swedish pool.

I quickly found out that frequently I would not get any ntp service,
depending on which server I got.

Checking the IP address of the non responding servers I quickly found
out who they belonged to, and I then immediately knew why I wasn't
getting through. That inidividual has had a personal problem since the
80:s with the ISP I'm using, and is filtering out any traffic from
networks belonging to this ISP.

I have tried to get the administrators of the pool to throw this
individuals servers out of the pool until he stops this, which
resulted in ... nothing.

I switched to use the [0-3].europe.pool.ntp.org servers instead, which
worked fine for a while. Today I noticed that I was given two of his
servers when I restarted ntpd anyway :-(

I have now had to manually go through and test the servers I get when
I look up the addresses, and select four that does not belong to this
guy.

Thomas