[ntp:questions] Synchronize clocks without a reference clock

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Mar 23 02:06:38 UTC 2007

Guys,

I should correct a couple of misconceptions here.

First, the 500-PPM limit is imposed on the inherent hardware oscillator
frequency error. Should this be exceeded, ntpd continues to discipline
the clock, but it will not be able to reduce the residual offset to
nominal zero.

The 15-PPM dispersion increase is a compromise. The computing theory
guys say that it should be 500 PPM, since under extreme conditions at
initial start, that could be the case. A more practical case is to set
it some ten times what is commonly observed with disciplined
oscillators. I take this to be nominal 1.5 PPM, which is near the
extreme commonly observed.

All the sticky constants, including the 15-PPM, can be tinkered. Anyone
would be nuts to change the 15-PPM, since it allows all clients to have
a consistent dispersion as each server gets older. If it is changed, it
sould be changed for all servers in the subnet.

Dave