[ntp:questions] Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Dmitry Ivanov dimss at telecentrs.lv
Fri Mar 23 08:04:27 UTC 2007

On 22 Mar 2007, at 16:35, Thomas Tornblom wrote:
> I was glad when I found out about the pool initiative, and immediately
> set up my systems and gadgets to use the swedish pool.
>
> I quickly found out that frequently I would not get any ntp service,
> depending on which server I got.
>
> Checking the IP address of the non responding servers I quickly found
> out who they belonged to, and I then immediately knew why I wasn't
> getting through. That inidividual has had a personal problem since the
> 80:s with the ISP I'm using, and is filtering out any traffic from
> networks belonging to this ISP.

Hello Thomas!

Are you 100% sure that he is _filtering_ that traffic? Have you tried
to contact him personally?

I am running three stratum-2 servers located at two distinct ISP. We
do not have stratum-1 servers here in Latvia (yet). Swedish servers
are the best to feed my stratum-2 since we have direct fiber to
Stockholm :) Unfortunately, some swedish servers (I do not remember
exact hostname) can be reached from ISP1 only... This might be stupid
routing or filtering issue. I did not check.

Being network engineer, I have to deal with such matters almost every
day. Could you tell me IP address or hostname of server in question?

--
Dmitry Ivanov
Network engineer
dimss at telecentrs.lv