[ntp:questions] Setting the maximum rate of change

Rune Magnussen rum at gratismail.dk
Fri Mar 23 16:59:12 UTC 2007

Den Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:07:32 +0100. skrev Spoon:

> I had randomly thought it might be a good idea to crank HZ up to 250.
>
> Are you saying ntpd will break if I set HZ to 250 in Linux 2.6?
>
> Regards.

The (PPS?) kernel discipline only works with 100 HZ. That is a kernel
issue. I am using 250 HZ on my ntp client PC and it works fine. If the
clock lags behind and ntpd cannot correct that then there is a problem and
it could be lost interrupts. With high HZ-values like 1000 lost interrupts
are more likely.

Regards Rune