[ntp:questions] Best solution for millisecond accuracy

edouard funke korlaz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:24:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am running several (less than 30) servers on LAN with these restrictions :
- no Internet
- Windows XP/2003
- no GPS possible
- I need less than a millisecond accuracy.

5 of them are on the same switch and two in an other building. Latency
between buildings is less than 20ms. There _might_ be an internal NTP
server synchronised to a server on internet but let say i dont have to
count on it.

If :
- i choose one "good" server as my time reference (local clock) and
synchronised all the other clients to it

- i put all servers in peer mode

- i put a pci card that uses a TCXO to replace the hardware clock (any
known vendors ? i dont care about GPS sync)

- limit maxpoll (what is the impact ?)

- change OS (again what is the impact ?)

is the accuracy of a millisecond "achievable" in those conditions ? If
not, what can i do to achieve it ?