[ntp:questions] Synchronize clocks without a reference clock

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Mar 24 16:03:46 UTC 2007

Per Hedeland wrote:
> In article <slrnf04vg8.4ed.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net> Steve Kostecke
> <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> writes:
>> Here's the configuration you need:
>>
>>> [1.] participants are identically configured both as broadcast client
>>> and as broadcast server.
>
> So the part that says "operates in subnet configurations in all modes"
> is wrong? Do you know this for a fact and/or have tried it? I would
> imagine at least that if all the participating servers have each other
> configured as "peer", there shouldn't "technically" be a need for a
> broadcast setup.

The biggest problem with peer is that you have to specify each and every
system you want to have participate in the scheme. With broadcast and
multicast you don't need to do that, they find each other. I prefer
multicast as it doesn't send messages to all systems even if they're not
participating. You have a much more targeted group of systems.

Danny