[ntp:questions] Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Thomas Tornblom thomas at Hax.SE
Sat Mar 24 22:52:32 UTC 2007

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:

> Thomas Tornblom wrote:
> If I understand correctly what you are asking what we need here instead
> of the server line, we should have a pool line and and an exclude line
> to ignore any specific IP addresses that we don't want to use. I'm
> suggesting that the exclude line can be used separately since you don't
> want them anywhere used. So for example you would want to do something
> like this:
>
> exclude 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.0
> exclude 5.6.7.8
> pool se.europe.pool.ntp.org max 5

No, what I'm asking for is that anyone that is participating the pool
initiative should be required to accept connections from any
reasonable client, and specifically not be allowed to filter out
traffic from a large ISP just because they acted as asses 20 years ago.

Having an "exclude" option is a band-aid solution to this problem.