[ntp:questions] AUTHENTICATION

wa6zvp wa6zvp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 03:17:07 UTC 2007

On Mar 24, 12:35 pm, "Riccardo" <castellani.ricca... at tiscali.it>
wrote:
> Do you know if exist NTP servers (with authentication) which are free ?
> Is't usually necessary to pay for having authentication support from ntp
> servers ?

I certainly don't know of any 'public' ntp servers that require
authentication, either free or for a fee.

Generally, the need for authentication is less when dealing with
unicast connections, since you are connecting and getting time from a
well-known time source.

Where authentication is important, depending on your paranoia, is the
the broadcast or multicast world, where its possible to have servers
with bad time, deliberately or accidentally, broadcasting this into a
local network.  Certainly you could charge for auth keys, but what's
the point?

If I misunderstood your question, I apologize.

Roger