[ntp:questions] ***SPAM*** Re: Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Mon Mar 26 04:47:31 UTC 2007

>You don't want to re-resolve anything unless you use up all the
>addresses you've already retrieved. We don't do this today and I intend
>to fix.

I smell a bottomless pit, but it might be appropriate to
check the DNS info occasionally.  NTP servers are often
up for a long time - long enough that the systems they are
using might get renumbered and such.

I'm sure what the right heuristics are.  Maybe something
like once-a-month and if DNS fails, keep using the old address
as long as it works.

Maybe check DNS sooner if the target server has not responded for a
few hours.