[ntp:questions] Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Mon Mar 26 06:34:59 UTC 2007

>Yes, it could be that. The idea was laid out in previous messages. I
>guess I need to document this in the twiki.

It's probably worth making a list of the problems that you want to
solve.  The ones I can think of:
  server xxx matching restrict xxx
  server (1 IP address) gets moved to a new IP address
    or gets turned off
  get several working servers from pool
  restrict for pool
  server leaves pool

Possible extensions:
  Pick good/near servers from pool offerings.

>Basically you move on to the next address if the first one does not
>respond (for some number of queries). When it runs out it requeries.

We have to make sure not to hammer the DNS.

Is there any point in retrying a DNS lookup before the TTL expires?