[ntp:questions] Best solution for millisecond accuracy

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Mon Mar 26 06:46:20 UTC 2007

Danny Mayer wrote:
> edouard funke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running several (less than 30) servers on LAN with these restrictions :
>> - no Internet
>> - Windows XP/2003

Oops! Windows! You lose.

>> - no GPS possible
>> - I need less than a millisecond accuracy.
>>

> Submillisecond requires a refclock at a minimum. On a network even with

The real problem is that no Windows machine has much better than 10 ms
resolution from the system clock, so that even if NTPD can synthesize a
more accurate clock for internal protocol use, your time-using programs
won't have access to it.

Go download a better OS instead.
:-(

Terje