[ntp:questions] ***SPAM*** Re: Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 26 13:36:31 UTC 2007

Hal Murray wrote:
>>You don't want to re-resolve anything unless you use up all the
>>addresses you've already retrieved. We don't do this today and I intend
>>to fix.
>

> I smell a bottomless pit, but it might be appropriate to
> check the DNS info occasionally.  NTP servers are often
> up for a long time - long enough that the systems they are
> using might get renumbered and such.

It has been a few years since I last operated a DNS server but ISTR that
DNS records have a Time To Live (TTL) associated with them and systems
don't get "renumbered" often!  At least systems with static addresses
don't get renumbered often.  If a server is using broadband cable or
ADSL, it may not have a static IP address but, once again, its address
is not likely to change while it's up and running.

If there is a problem reaching a server, one might try re-resolving its
address but that is by no means the first thing I'd try.