[ntp:questions] ***SPAM*** Re: Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200703 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 16:41:31 UTC 2007

hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) writes:
> I'm sure what the right heuristics are.  Maybe something
> like once-a-month and if DNS fails, keep using the old address
> as long as it works.

It has always bothered me that the TTL in the DNS record is stripped
off by the resolver code.  There is already an indication in the DNS
record how long the issuer of the record wants it to be used.  Careful
DNS admins will even go so far as creeping the TTL down as a cut-over
to a new IP address happens.  It would be ideal for a long-running
program to just time out the IP address using this TTL and request a
new one whenever the old one expires.

Seeing how ntpd is now hosted at ISC, anyone here have the ear of the
bind developers?

-wolfgang