[ntp:questions] ***SPAM*** Re: Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Tue Mar 27 11:19:24 UTC 2007

"Simon Lyall" <simon at darkmere.gen.nz> wrote in message
news:euaqpk$luo$1 at red.darkmere.gen.nz...
> Jan Ceuleers <janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be> wrote:

>> The potential problem with that is dynamic DNS, which uses artificially
>> low TTL values. I'm convinced that many pool servers have dynamic DNS
>> names (but I haven't verified this).
>
> From: http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html
>
> "Your computer must have a static IP address"

'pool.ntp.org' could be considered a very dynamic DNS name. But that's
splitting hairs for pedantry's sake; usually the name is fixed (and
unique) and the IP address may vary.

For a service like NTP, making repeated UDP (connectionless) requests
to the same host, a varying IP address on the server will never do.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink