[ntp:questions] ntpd sets clock to the year 1939

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 01:49:54 UTC 2007

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Richard B. gilbert wrote:
>
>>Then perhaps the documentation needs to be updated!  The 36 year "epoch"
>>  (if that's the proper term) has been discussed before on this
>>newsgroup although not recently.  Perhaps because it's rare for anyone
>>to start ntpd with a clock that's off by 37 years!  I think you may be
>>the only person to report such a problem in the four years or so that
>>I've been reading this newsgroup!
>

> Can we at least use the right numbers? It was 34 years and now is 68
> years. Calculate 2^31 seconds from 1-1-1970.

Danny,

Please!  I'm lucky to be able to count to twenty with my shoes on!
Trying to calculate the number of seconds elapsed from 1970 to now is
completely beyond me.  If I got my computer to do it, I still wouldn't
know if the answer was right.  Leap years+leap seconds. . . . .
Forget it.

I'd write 34 on a post-it and paste it on my monitor but it would
probably fall off by itself before I needed it again.