[ntp:questions] ntpd sets clock to the year 1939

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 12:45:48 UTC 2007

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> In article <4609C667.9010603 at ntp.isc.org>,
> Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
>

>>Which would do you no good since we only distribute documentation in HTML.
>

> Which is deeply and profoundly broken, but your choice, I suppose.  It
> does make the burden on everyone else quite a bit higher, to have to
> maintain their own manual pages since the NTP developers do not see
> fit to provide any.

This is Unix centric thinking.   Some operating systems; e.g. Windows,
VMS, and, perhaps, others  do not have "man pages" or anything to read
them with!

HTML browsers are widely available.  For those who don't, can't, or
won't have one, the HTML is formatted in such a way that it is possible
to read it as English text and ignore the HTML tags.

And, frankly, many man pages are almost unreadable anyway.  They list
seven hundred switches and options without ever telling you how you
might accomplish the task at hand!