[ntp:questions] Offset is Slowly Increasing Over Time

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 12:57:59 UTC 2007

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> If the dispersion on a client machine is spiking at 8 seconds does that
> indicate that my NTP server wants to be a rodeo cowboy?  But seriously...
>
> I gathered up the loop and peer stats per the FAQ, posted here:
>
> http://www.stradamotorsports.com/~jcw/NTP_Stats.xls
>
> If I restart all the NTP processes on my network I can get my clocks to
> sync for a while.  At some later time the offset creeps up to over one
> second and the clients will reject my server.
>
> The dispersion graph is interesting.  The offset doesn't seem to
> misbehave in a pattern resembling dispersion.
>
> About the only thing that I can tell from the graphs is that they are
> pretty.  I was hoping that some good natured soul would look at them and
> say, "Here's your problem."
>
> My local NTP server syncs with my ISP just fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason C. Wells

Dispersion is the accumulated error between the root (atomic clock
somewhere) and your server.  A value of eight seconds indicates a
complete and total disaster!  Eight milliseconds would be extremely
worrisome!   Eight microseconds maybe?

If the graphs are pretty, how about if you draw them and post them on a
web site somewhere.  Downloading your loopstats file and graphing them
locally is too much like work.