[ntp:questions] ntpdate

Eric nospam-01 at jensenresearch.com
Wed Mar 28 18:23:40 UTC 2007

Well, using ntpdate will always "step" your PC clock, so you can count on it jerking
forward and back at each chron interval.  So I'm not sure how it would help to always
use the same server, it will still hop around even from one server.  And, ntpdate I
believe has been "deprecated" and is no longer being enhanced or supported.

What you really want is somehow to reach out to several servers, get an approximation
of the correct time by consensus, then slowly steer the PC clock to match it.  No
steps, no dependency on a particular server.

This is what the reference implementation of NTP does.  It's called NTPD.  I'd give
that a try.

- Eric

On 28 Mar 2007 02:50:11 -0700, "RICCARDO" <castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it> wrote for
the entire planet to see: