[ntp:questions] ***SPAM*** Re: Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Wed Mar 28 19:34:41 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

(I suggested that pool members with non-static IP addresses could be
accommodated by the pool).

>> And the protocol already exists: it's called dynamic DNS.
>
> Care to flesh out how you envision this working?

The pool is essentially a fancy name server. Pool members could use the
existing dynamic DNS protocol to register their current IP address with
the pool. Perhaps in addition to registering with their regular dynamic
DNS provider, if they provide services other than NTP.

Advantages: dynamic DNS clients exist for lots of platforms.

Disadvantages: I don't know whether dynamic DNS servers are readily
available to be integrated with the rest of the pool server software.
Moreover, the pool would also need to use low TTL values (but then I
think it already is).

The other disadvantage is that pool clients might, for a limited period
of time, hammer whoever next receives the IP address previously held by
a pool server. Malevolant such inherintants of IP addresses might reduce
the perceived quality of the pool by telling the wrong time.

Regards, Jan