[ntp:questions] Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200703 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 03:12:51 UTC 2007

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:
> Please don't do this. If the server is not on a static IP address it has
> no business serving NTP packets for the pool. In any case there is
> currently no way for the NTP client to follow the change of the server
> address. I have no plans to change this and it's almost impossible to
> follow such a change anyway. Rereading the DNS list won't help you as
> you are most likely going to get a different set of addresses from the
> previous time you made a query (modulo the DNS resolver's caching the
> results of the previous query).

Don't worry, I'm not about to do anything unless I know that folks
are interested in accepting the patches.

My idea was based on the observation that there still are only ~1000
pools servers and most of the home machines in the US (and probably
the world) are excluded from even donating services because they are
technically dynamic hosts.  In practice, many DHCP hosts seem to have
the same address for months at a time.  If there was some way to bring
this large pool of home dsl/cable machines into the fold, there could
be many more pools machines to help shoulder the load.

-wolfgang