[ntp:questions] ntpdate

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Thu Mar 29 16:25:17 UTC 2007

>>> In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.0703281701180.3992 at localhost>, Pierre Dubuc <pldubuc at yahoo.ca> writes:

Pierre> The ntpd on the 486-SX doesn't seem to like a kernel that doesn't
Pierre> support, at a minimum, the fsqrt() function.

I don't see fsqrt() anywhere in the code.  Do you mean sqrt()?

It would go into the math library, not the kernel.

Have you seen http://www.acm.org/pubs/tog/GraphicsGems/gemsiii/sqrt.c ?

I suspect you could also find something in (perhaps older) GNU C/math
libraries.

I know the current sntp codebase has sqrt() calls in it, and I am not sure
if we are actually using the areas of the code which make those calls.
We do need to find somebody do maintain the SNTP code.

You might also find joy at http://www.projectpluto.com/sat_code.htm, using
log/exp to produce a square root.