[ntp:questions] ntpd -g problem (4.2.4p0).

Kaz Kylheku kkylheku at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 23:44:42 UTC 2007

I'm trying to set up ntpd on an embedded Linux system (glibc 2.5,
kernel 2.6.17.7. 64 bit MIPS kernel, n32 user space). I've built
everything from scratch.

How do I get ntpd to step the initial clock? ``ntpd -q -g'' does work,
as does ntpdate.

But I just want ntpd to step the time, and then stay running. Is that
possible?

I've tried it under various offset conditions. I set the time so that
it was only 200 seconds off; I set it so it was just over 1000 seconds
off; and I set it so it was years off. Under none of those conditions
does ntpd -g do anything. It stays running, and the clock stays wrong.