[ntp:questions] ntpd sets clock to the year 1939

Moe Trin ibuprofin at painkiller.example.tld
Fri Mar 30 00:24:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.time.ntp, in article
<fsaqd4-181.ln1 at robert.houseofmax.de>, Uwe Klein wrote:

>With most Linux Distros there is a bunch of them included.
>( or it is a package you can install, same as with "all manpages"

That depends on the distribution. You can simply go to any sunsite mirror
and grab the tarball (this is in http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/

-rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg    ldp  8844582 Mar 29 09:01 Linux-HOWTOs-20070329.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg    ldp  7078076 Mar 29 09:01 Linux-HOWTOs-20070329.tar.bz2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gferg    ldp       29 Mar 29 09:02 Linux-HOWTOs.tar.bz2 ->
 Linux-HOWTOs-20070329.tar.bz2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gferg    ldp       28 Mar 29 09:02 Linux-HOWTOs.tar.gz ->
 Linux-HOWTOs-20070329.tar.gz

>locate -i howto on my SuSE 9.3 finds me about 4000 files.)

No idea why - there are only about 450 documents, a little over 3.8 million
words, or just under 690000 lines (call it 11500 pages of text).  You may
have multiple print formats and multiple languages.  Most distributions are
rather lax at keeping the HOWTO package up to date - two years ago, they
were being updated or re-written such that a third of the documents were
less than six months old. Currently, only 20 are less than 6 months old.

>There is one for clock/ntp:
>http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Clock.html

  * Clock, The Clock Mini-HOWTO
    Updated: Nov 2000. How to set and keep your computer's clock on time.

A bit on the old side.

>A good topics for a MiniHowTow would be
>
>What can ntpd do for me

  * TimePrecision-HOWTO, Managing Accurate Date and Time HOWTO
    Updated: Nov 2005. Explains the time mechanisms on Linux, what are time
    zones, and precision with NTP.

Like that?

>How to set up an isolated synced cluster
>   ( and why you usually don't want it )

A bit ambiguous

  4.2.3. Clustering

  * Beowulf-HOWTO, Beowulf HOWTO
    Updated: Jan 2005. Describes step by step instructions on building a
    Beowulf cluster. This is a Red Hat and LAM specific version of this
    document.

  * Mock-Mainframe, The Mock Mainframe Mini-HOWTO
    Updated: Oct 2005. A brief description of a standard way to set up and
    work with a computer network for a small group of people that is
    inexpensive to build, easy to administer, and relatively safe.

Probably not what you were referring to.   ;-)

        Old guy