[ntp:questions] Getting NTP to correct only the clock skew

Spoon devnull at localhost.com
Fri Mar 30 12:32:54 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I've read this page:
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/HowToCalibrateSystemClockUsingNTP
which explains how to let NTP determine the frequency offset (skew).

I have a strange request:

Is it possible to run NTP in a mode where it does not try to correct the
time offset, but only correct the frequency offset (skew)?

In other words, assume my clock says it is some time last year, and
gains 1 second every day (11.6 ppm). I don't want NTP to either slew or
step my clock to the correct time, but I still would want it to fix this
1 s per day (11.6 ppm) frequency offset.

Has this ever been considered?

Is there a variable I could tinker with? :-)

Regards.