[ntp:questions] Orphan Mode Configuration Questions (Was: Re: Synchronize clocks without a reference clock)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 30 15:06:30 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-23, Per Hedeland <per at hedeland.org> wrote:

> Hm, I'm afraid my post came across the wrong way. Let me say that I
> really enjoy your posts

Thank-you.

> which I find to be consistently informed, informative, and
> to-the-point wrt to the questions asked / problems reported

That is my goal. My reply in this case was, unfortunately, a bit
intemperate.

> - hence what I really wanted to say above was: If you (by whatever
> means) know for a fact that orphan mode requires broadcast, I'll take
> your word for it

I had only tested broadcast/multicast mode at the time of my reply and
could only report that those modes worked.

> but if not, and since you appear to have a test setup, maybe you could
> try... (without wanting to "demand" that:-).
>
> Well that question seems to be moot per your other post - thanks a lot
> for that! And I expect that it will be useful for the OP too, since his
> setup wouldn't allow broadcast to work.

Most types of associations (i.e. unicast client/server, unicast peer,
broadcast, and unicast) worked in orphan mode. The only one the did not
was Manycast.

> The problem then is really that the "offical documentation" (hm, seems
> it always takes me 5 minutes of random clicking to find what I'm looking
> for there - an ntp.conf(5) page would be soo much simpler - but anyway
> it's http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/manyopt.html) appears to
> be self-contradictory.

It certainly mislead me.

> Oh, and I hope you put your orphan findings on the wiki somewhere -

I plan to.

> thanks again!

You're quite welcome.