[ntp:questions] ntpd sets clock to the year 1939

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 16:24:34 UTC 2007

On Mar 27, 7:35 pm, m... at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> Robert Dodier wrote:
> > Well, even if the code is not changed, it would be extremely helpful
> > to document the actual behavior of ntpd -g.
>
> > That way people know that a ballpark date adjustment
> > is necessary before ntpd can do anything useful.
> > Even embedded systems guys read man pages ....
>
> Which would do you no good since we only distribute documentation in HTML.

No, that's not so. It would indeed help. It would help to fix the HTML
documentation because the man page which I read was derived by
some 3rd party from the HTML.

I did read the HTML page as well, and the relevant information about
the behavior of ntpd -g is not present there. I just want it to appear
somewhere in the ntp documentation. Other people seem to have
an axe to grind about document formats. I don't care about that.

FWIW
Robert Dodier