[ntp:questions] Consider the Undisciplined Local Clock synchronized at start-up

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Fri Mar 30 22:08:47 UTC 2007

Hello,

 On Friday, March 30, 2007 at 10:10:11 +0200, Spoon wrote:

> I've configured one box to serve its local clock to another box.
> (I want them to drift together.)

First of all: Do you really want one master server and a slave client,
or don't you care which is master? In the later case, you could drop
LOCAL(1) and use the orphan mode between 2 peers. Below I'll assume the
former case.

> Is it possible to tell the server to consider his clock synchronized
> as soon as the daemon starts?

There are two ways:

(1) Apply the iburst for refclocks patch, and use this keyword on your
server's "server 127.127.1.1 iburst" line. Ntpd will then sync on the
local clock in only 5 seconds.

(2) Add a "tos orphan 14" line to your server. It will then be able
to serve half-good time at stratum 14 right at startup, and 3 minutes
later once synced on LOCAL(1) it will start serving stratum 12 time.
However this initially "half-good" time has a big drawback: A null
reference time. Some clients may dislike this (ntpdate rejects this).

Serge.