[ntp:questions] stepping and slewing

castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it
Thu May 3 07:28:57 UTC 2007

I hadn't understood what means "stepping" ( applied when offset is
greater than 128 ms ), infact I believed clock converged gradually to
real time with for example (3 sec for minute) in like manner to slewing
method.
Now I understand that stepping set clock immediately to correct time
(both forward and backward) while slewing permit to adjust gradually
time at max 0.5 ms /sec rate (ONLY forward). is'tt OK ?
I'm going to use ntpd -qg to synchronize my Linux DB "clients" because
I think today machine clocks are enough accurate and I don't await
significant offsets (between real time and local time) from first
synchronization, my opinion is to not use service but a program which
starts at specific intervals.