[ntp:questions] NTP and asymetric delay

emmanuel.python at bluewin.ch emmanuel.python at bluewin.ch
Wed May 2 14:18:57 UTC 2007

Hello

I use the version 3 of NTP on cisco routers and I see that if the
delay between the NTP server and the client (my cisco router) is not
symetrical (like for example 20ms in one direction and 40ms in the
other direction) then the time is not very well synchronized on the
router => There is an error of 10ms ((40-20)/2). After reading the
NTP algorithm, I see that it uses the round trip time to compute the
clock offset. So my question is the following: How to configure or
use NTP if there are asymetrical delays or jitter?

Thank you for your help

Emmanuel Python