[ntp:questions] Question on "calldelay"

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Fri May 4 19:50:36 UTC 2007

>>> In article <cv6rg4-68s.ln1 at klein-habertwedt.de>, Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> writes:

Uwe> Hi, I have tried using calldelay 15 server $myserver burst prefer

I gotta wonder if 'burst' is really needed.

I was initially wondering if $myserver was an IP or a name, but...

Uwe> to (pre)start up my notorious ISDN dialup connection.  i have problems
Uwe> with that.

Uwe> in my (tcpdump) logs i can see

Uwe> 	the initial ntpv4 client packet

this implies you are able to turn the situation into an IP.

Uwe> the syslog info from the ciscobox
Uwe> that indicates the dialup being connected and then nothing.  the
Uwe> initial packet seems to be dropped ( bahh, world loss )

Uwe> 	dialup is taken down after timeout ( ~75 seconds )

Uwe> if the connection is already up the initial ntpv4 client packet answer
Uwe> from server delay 15 seconds 3 pairs of query answer packets.

Uwe> My question: is the current poll aborted when the first packet is not
Uwe> answered?

I don't *believe* so...

I do wonder about the "interface state change" and if something might be
going on there.

Perhaps Frank or Danny might have more to say.