[ntp:questions] Max number of lines that ntpdc -c monlist could display

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun May 6 19:42:54 UTC 2007

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Dave,
>
> When you say 'ntpdc' and 'ntpq' do you mean 'via mode 7' and 'via mode 6'?
>
> If the latter, do you intend a *standard* interface that will go thru the
> IETF process?

This is likely to be specific to the implementation of the server, much
like BIND 9 does with the rndc client. In fact I'd like to leverage the
BIND 9 libisccc code to implement this in nptd using TCP port 123 since
it's reserved for NTP. That interface uses TSIG keys for security. Since
all of this is open source people can come up with their own designs of
a control protocol for their own implementations of NTP servers but
probably would copy our design.

Danny