[ntp:questions] 1PPS signal on Solaris 10

Dave dave.deconsulting at gmail.com
Wed May 9 20:01:28 UTC 2007

On May 9, 3:30 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > I have been having enormous amounts of trouble detecting a 1PPS signal
> > on a 4200 (Intel x86) running Solaris 10. There is no direct serial
> > port connection, so I am looking for a PCI board or some other
> > alternative way of receiving this signal. I tried a serial-to-USB
> > connection, but the USB port does not support the DCD pin (which PPS
> > comes over on). I've also tried a Performance Technologies board, but
> > the ioctl calls TIOCSPPS, TIOCGPPS, and TIOCGPPSEV all return invalid
> > values. I also have a Symmetricom BC635 board which would support the
> > 1PPS signal if they were to have a driver for Solaris 10, but none is
> > available. I also looked into companies like Brandywine, but they
> > don't support Solaris at all. Any suggestions?
>
> Yes!  Get a PC with a serial port!  You can probably find a suitable
> machine at curbside if you keep your eyes open.  Anything made in the
> last six or seven years should have more than enough processing power if
> all it has to do is run ntpd.

Sadly, getting another machine is not an option. I have this machine
under contract, so I really need to find a way. The main problem is
that this machine came with a serial "management" port instead of a
regular serial port. When making the above I/O system calls while
connected to that, I don't get invalid responses, but I also don't get
time values other than 0.0000000. I've hooked up the same GPS device
to a Sun Fire v480's serial port and it worked fine. (I can't use that
machine however). I wonder if there is a way to configure the
management port to act differently, say, like a basic serial port?