[ntp:questions] PPS on Linux status?

Martin Karsten mkarsten_NOSPAM_ at uwaterloo.ca
Mon May 14 02:00:30 UTC 2007

My apologies if I am beating a dead horse, but I've spent several hours
today searching for a definite answer to the subject line question.

The PPS part of the ntp documentation at one point refers to the PPSkit
for Linux and at another point says "The FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris
implementations can be used with the stock kernels provided with those
systems;" about the ntp PPS driver.

I understand that a full-scale PPS "system" in the kernel (and the PPS
api) may not be needed to get ntp working with PPS (e.g. that seems to
be the case for Solaris), but at least some level of support is probably
required from the kernel (in the serial driver)? Does the stock Linux
kernel (e.g. any recent 2.6 variant) support PPS or do I have to use an
extension such as PPSkit to use a PPS signal on Linux for ntpd?

I have a setup (server 127.127.20.0 GPS/PPS) for which on a FreeBSD
machine, ntptime shows the PPSSIGNAL status bit, but not on Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin