[ntp:questions] stepping and slewing

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue May 15 01:51:35 UTC 2007

Danny,

The loopfilter code has grown very complicated to handle extreme cases I
never considered practical. The ntpd -gq was never inteded to use the
kernel code at all, so doesn't have to look for it in the first place.
Running ntpd as a daemon for a day really does get a good frequency
estimate which carries over seamlessly to ntpd -gq without using the
frequency file.

Dave