[ntp:questions] stepping and slewing

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue May 15 02:04:22 UTC 2007

Hal,

You are absolutely right. To survive beyond reboot, it should read the
frequency file. But, now the ntpd -gq code has to check if the kernel
code is available and zap the kernel frequency accordingly.

This puppy is getting long of weeds; there are many combinations
with/without kernel, with/without ntpd -gq, very large step thresholds,
with/without PPS, maintaining kernel frequency following a daemon crash
or long unreachable interval, using PPS in combination with other
daemons or when the PPS and/or the prefer peer go dark.

I'll see what I can do, but the canonical behavior with this puppy is I
mow a weed for someone and a new weed pops up in a surprising place.

Dave