[ntp:questions] zeroconf for ntpd?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Tue May 22 21:16:53 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:
>
>> "Will this work?" It does work. It's called manycast and has been
>> working with some refinements for several years.

> Thanks.  I did notice it again on your html pages.  Last time I tried
> to play with it the instructions were too confusing for me to figure
> out how to get it to work.

Manycast uses Autokey or Symmetric Keys unless authentication is
explicitly disabled. In this example Symmetric Keys will be used.

# Minimal ntp.conf for Manycasting Client (on 224.0.1.1)
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
keys    /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey 1
requestkey 1
controlkey 1
manycastclient 224.0.1.1 key 1
# uncomment the following line for a mesh-node
# manycastserver 224.0.1.1

# Minimal ntp.conf for Manycasting Server (on 224.0.1.1)
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
keys    /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey 1
requestkey 1
controlkey 1
manycastserver 224.0.1.1
# server lines for your ref-clock(s) go here

# Sample /etc/ntp.keys for above config files
1 M password

> My hope is to have a set of config files that some group like Fedora
> could distribute in lieu of their current one which sets up 3 unicast
> associations between each client system and some poor overloaded pools
> server.

Manycasting uses network broadcast or multicast addresses for server
detection. While this is trivial on a LAN or WAN, manycasting over the
Internet will require ubquitous multicast support.