[ntp:questions] zeroconf for ntpd?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200705 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 23:14:27 UTC 2007

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> writes:
> <config files>

Thanks!  I'll have a go at setting it up here.

> Manycasting uses network broadcast or multicast addresses for server
> detection. While this is trivial on a LAN or WAN, manycasting over the
> Internet will require ubquitous multicast support.

In theory, IPv6 is available to anyone via the free, anycast
192.88.99.1 6to4 tunnel servers.  I'm told that multicast is so wired
into IPv6 that the ISP's can't screw it up this time.  So in theory,
it should be possible to do some kind of expanding multicast search
now.

I notice that ntp.isc.org does have an AAAA record and answers ntp
queries on its IPv6 address.  I wonder if the powers that be would be
willing to allow it to be a IPv6 multicast server.  If I understand
things correctly that would require transmitting on ff0e::101, the
global multicast address with the 0x0101 ntp group id.

Anyone know what he rules of the road are for talking on a global
multicast?  Is it essentially CB radio and one just keys the mike and
starts blabbing?

-wolfgang
Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html