[ntp:questions] Time sync on a windows domain

clarkec8 at hotmail.com clarkec8 at hotmail.com
Thu May 24 14:04:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm investigating different methods of keeping a network in time.  We
currently have a network with 6000 XP clients, 200 2003 servers and
about 20 Solaris/Unix servers.

We currently use ntpdate on the unix servers and w32time on the
windows server with the PDC going to the internet for time via NTP.

Our current time difference accross the network is about 2 seconds.
This seems a lot to me.  We've also go some 2003 servers that swing
around all over (around 4 mins).  These are pre SP1 though and I
believe there were some fixes in SP1.

I would like to get a GPS NTP device and sync to that and I'd like
some advice.

1. If I use the PDC to point to the NTP device and use the domain
heirarchy what sort of accuracy can I expect?

2. If I still use w32time but set it to NTP and point all clients at
the clock device what accuracy could I expect?

3. Should I use something else entirely and ignore w32time?

I know I'm asking on an NTP forum and if I asked on a windows one I
may get different advice but I'm trying to get a spread of opinion.
I've searched everywhere for accuracy on w32time but Microsoft don't
seem too keen on giving out such knowledge.

Thanks

Chris