[ntp:questions] zeroconf for ntpd?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri May 25 02:53:36 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> I notice that ntp.isc.org does have an AAAA record and answers ntp
> queries on its IPv6 address.

Yes, it should. They are the PSP's servers.

>  I wonder if the powers that be would be
> willing to allow it to be a IPv6 multicast server.

Yes, we can do it on a site basis.

>  If I understand
> things correctly that would require transmitting on ff0e::101, the
> global multicast address with the 0x0101 ntp group id.

The trouble is that only site-local (ff05::101) is implemented in the
network routers. I don't believe that there is any router hardware that
supports global multicasting.

> Anyone know what he rules of the road are for talking on a global
> multicast?  Is it essentially CB radio and one just keys the mike and
> starts blabbing?

No, routers MUST support it and I don't think that any do.

Danny