[ntp:questions] zeroconf for ntpd?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200705 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 15:19:42 UTC 2007

ibuprofin at painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) writes:
>>The problem I see is that the current setup is quite wasteful.  If a
>>home user has 3 running systems, it beats up on 3x4 pools servers.
>>That is 3x more load than strictly needed, especially since pools
>>servers are already being hit up for 15 ntp queries per second.  It
>>would be good to figure out a way to lower that load and be able to
>>serve the rest of the 99% of the systems that currently aren't using
>>ntp yet.
>
> I may be missing something, but 15 queries a second - that's pretty
> much a "nothing" load. A hundred times that should still be well
> within the capabilities of a "T1" connection, never mind that of
> a Pentium grade based system.

The problem is the 15 queries/sec is an average.  The peaks appear to
be 10x that and cause the consumer ADSL or cable lines to overload.
Folks are talking about bailing out of being ntp pool volunteers.  I
can easily see the ntp pool collapse due to positive feedback effects.
(If the load is too high and some folks bail the load will get even
higher causing a general run for the door.)  Something that is as easy
to setup as pools but much lower load is needed.  We are still only at
1% ntp penetration (2-6 million pools users out of 400 million
internet-connected computers.)  The load is going to go up quite a bit
as more of the old computers are replaced or have their SW updated.

        http://fortytwo.ch/mailman/pipermail/timekeepers/2007/002936.html

-wolfgang
Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html