[ntp:questions] slow start

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue May 29 12:22:02 UTC 2007

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>>Jammer wrote:
>>
>>>Incredibly slow /etc/init.d/ntpd start
>>>(it hangs on boot so I do it manually but it is slow).
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>Is it a hardware problem?
>>>The computer clock seems to work fine.
>>>
>>>Should I be able to ping all the ntp servers in my /etc/ntp.conf?
>>>I can't.
>>
>>Normally, you should be able to ping NTP servers.
>>
>>You should not, however, start your troubleshooting by pinging your NTP
>>servers.  Start by pinging something on your local network such as your
>>router or another computer.  Success tells you that your computer is
>>able to talk to your local network.
>>
>>If you didn't ping your router, do it now.  If it doesn't respond, you
>>have some idea where to look for your problem.
>>
>>Next, ping your ISP's gateway.  If that works, you've established that
>>you can connect to the internet.
>>
>>Now try pinging your NTP servers.
>>

> Before you do that ping the nameservers listed in the resolv.conf file.
> They need to be available in order to resolve the names in your
> ntpd.conf file.
>

>>Try ntpdate -dU <server address>
>>Do you get a response?  (This should not set your clock, it should just
>>tell you what ntpdate would have done if you had allowed it to.)
>>
>>If you get no response, try:
>>nslookup <fully qualified domain name of NTP server>
>>

> Don't use nslookup, use dig. nslookup is really bad as a diagnostic tool.

I suggested nslookup, rather than dig, because nslookup is installed on
both Solaris and Windoze and I think Linux as well.  Dig is not
installed on Solaris and, AFAIK not installed on Windoze either.

I've been using nslookup for years on many different operating systems
and it has always met my modest needs.  Why and how is dig better?