[ntp:questions] Time sync on a windows domain

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk
Wed May 30 10:01:41 UTC 2007

clarkec8 at hotmail.com wrote:
[]
> Hi,
>
> Thank you all for your comments regarding my post.  I'm overwhelmed by
> the generosity of your time and knowledge.

I do try to be helpful, rather than simply just "trying".

> I think I might try and push for NTP on the server estate and leave
> w32time as the time sync for the workstations.

An excellent compromise.

> We have a policy for users to switch off workstations overnight so I
> would think the accuracy advantage of NTP would not be as clear cut.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Chris

I used to think that as well, Chris, but I have NTP on the portable
(wireless networking) and, with the iburst flag for each server, it syncs
up within a minute or so, well before I've started doing serious work.

I haven't done a major deployment of NTP on Windows using automated
tools - just individual installs.  It would be an interesting project to
see just how that could be done, though.

Cheers,
David