[ntp:questions] ntpq +rv

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed May 30 12:13:50 UTC 2007

Laurent Archambault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With the command ligne "ntpq -c rv", it's possible to see the variable
> "noise",
> not for localhost and not for old version of ntpq.
> But i don't known what is this "noise" for the NTP, and i must explain this
> for make an private network.

That's an excellent question. Initially I thought you meant jitter but
looking at the -c rv output those are different. I don't see it
documented anywhere.

Looking at the source code it seems that noise is defined to be the
clock offset jitter while jitter seems to be the system jitter. I can't
explain this any better, I can only look at the source code. Dave should
be able to provide a good explanation.

Danny