[ntp:questions] Build Issues - minimum build reqs or vxworks help please...

Som Naderi snaderi at spawar.navy.mil
Wed May 30 17:35:19 UTC 2007

Hello all, I'm having some troubles building NTP for VxWorks v6.4 and could
use some help.

I'm trying to build from within cygwin and within the VxWorks development
shell (which basically just sets a bunch of environment variables as far as
I know).  I've also been trying to use the vxworks.html hints file that's in
the html directory -- except it's a bit outdated (VxWorks 5, I believe) so
I've needed to include some additional -I switches for other include
locations.

I'm running configure with

--target=powerpc-wrs-vxworks --host=powerpc-wrs-vxworks --disable-all-clocks
--enable-LOCAL-CLOCK

It *seems* to work fine, but the make immediately chokes on libopts.c when
it tries to include memory.h.  The problem is -- there is no memory.h within
the entire vxworks directory.  During "configure", the check for memory.h
fails also, though it continues.  It's possible that VxWorks has the
necessary functions under a different .h file, so an option I have, I guess,
is to find which ones NTP needs and look for a file with those functions.

The other approach I tried was to take the config.h and copy it into a
WorkBench project (WorkBench being the WindRiver IDE for VxWorks
development).  Within the project, I had the ntpd directory and the libntp
directory.  I then added the libopts directory -- and this is really where
my lack of knowledge of what's being compiled and what ntpd's dependencies
are comes in.  I've added the -D define for SYS_VXWORKS and HAVE_CONFIG_H to
the compile switches, and before I added libopts, the make would actually go
on for several seconds and through several files before finally failing with
a storm of errors.

Sorry for the essay... I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right
direction with the VxWorks building process or at least a design doc for NTP
so I can figure out what the bare minimum requirements are to compile a
working ntpd.

Thanks for any help!

- Som