[ntp:questions] Standalone PC Clock Sync

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sun Nov 4 18:17:38 UTC 2007

In article <FEF8AE2A5693AE40BB2F1B2969E16139013B7B7D at SBKMXSMB01.win.dowjones.net>,
David.Russell at dowjones.com (Russell, David) wrote:

> I have a PC running Windows that gets disconnected from the network for
> up to an hour.  I am using NTP to sync the clock while it is connected
> but when disconnected the clock drifts quite a bit.  Does anyone have

Once stabilised, ntpd should not drift significantly in one hour, assuming
you haven't meddled with maxpoll, which, unfortunately, many people do.
It will typically be polling every 20 minutes and an hour drop out won't
even cause it to declare the sever down.

Either you haven't told us the whole story, e.g. it may be a lap top that
goes into a different power management state for that less than an hour,
or you need to find out why you are not reaching a poll interval of
1024 seconds when you are connected.

PS your subject is confusing as the most common question from Windows
users is about running with no real servers, which might also be considered
standalone.