[ntp:questions] in pool, my server runs for days, crashes with no log

fishtop_records pfarrell at pfarrell.com
Tue Nov 6 04:09:48 UTC 2007

On Nov 5, 9:47 pm, Harlan Stenn <st... at ntp.org> wrote:
> You wanted: configure --with-binsubdir=sbin

That put the executables in /usr/sbin/sbin

But I've got a bigger problem.
The normal /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd script is not working.
if I run the ntpd program from a shell, it runs fine.
(It takes a fairly long time to start and detach from the shell, maybe
a full minute or more)

if I start it the usual Mandriva way,
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd start
it says it succeeds, but a minute, checking the status fails.

[root at dmz log]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd status
ntpd dead but subsys locked

I see no errors in either the /var/log/syslog or the /var/log/ntp/
ntpd.log

While its OK to start it by hand for now, its bad form. What can I do
to see why it won't stay up?