[ntp:questions] which ntpd ? OpenBSD openntpd, BSD ntpd, other ?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Nov 6 16:56:28 UTC 2007

On 2007-11-06, Cyrille37 <cyrille37 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But it seems to exists several ntpd implementation. for example the
> Debian packages contains openntpd (OpenBSD NTP daemon) which has not
> many configuration options, like no drift file ... I've found ntpd in
> the BSD System Manager's Manual, which has a full set of options.

If you want to use the Debian pre-packaged version of the NTP Reference
Implementation from www.ntp.org install the 'ntp' package. On my Debian
"etch" (stable) system this package is built from NTP 4.2.2p4; the ntp
package testing and unstable branches are currently built from NTP
4.2.4p4 (the current stable release).

If you want to use a partial re-implementation of NTP by the OpenBSD
developers install the 'openntpd' package.

If you choose to compile the NTP Reference Implementation
from www.ntp.org yourself, you will find the source code for
the current stable release and the development snapshot at
http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html and http://support.ntp.org/download

Before you compile NTP on your Debian system issue the following command
to install all of the necessary development tools/libs/etc.:

apt-get build-dep ntp

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>