[ntp:questions] ntpd crashing on startup

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Nov 6 18:36:47 UTC 2007

> From: Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl at RZ.Uni-Regensburg.DE>
> Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:27:23 +0100
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>

> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

> > //.rnd would be in your /
> >
> > I have found it helpful to specify the location of the randfile:
> >
> > crypto randfile /dev/urandom
>
> Shouldn't it be /dev/random? (Urandom is not truely random AFAIK)

/dv/urandom used to be less random, but not pseudo-random.

I am not expert on Linux, for FreeBSD has saved entropy across boots for
a long time so that you never have /dev/random run out of numbers. On
FreeBSD, there is no longer any difference between /dev/random and
/dev/urandom.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)