[ntp:questions] ntpq: option to set complete output field names

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Mon Nov 12 11:56:51 UTC 2007

varshakapatkar21 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to display complete output field names of the "ntpq -p" command
> e.g stratum instead of 'st', type instead of 't'.  Is the any command
> line option provided by ntpq that will allow me to do so? Can anybody
> help me?

There are two obvious alternatives:

a) This is open source: Make your own version!

b) Write a trivial perl filter which call ntpq and modifies the output
to show the names you prefer.

(a) avoids the need for a separate program, while (b) will keep working
after you update your ntp version.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>