[ntp:questions] Reference clock all messed up?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Nov 12 22:05:51 UTC 2007

>>> In article <47377D98.1050608 at ca.com>, bolad03 at ca.com (Adam Bolte) writes:

Adam> Hi Danny,
>> Add iburst to this line for faster synchronization

Adam> Thanks, but being an PDC I really didn't want the clock to change too
Adam> quickly. This may seem strange not already having NTP, but the network
Adam> setup has recently changed which is what broke NTP in the first place.

Huh?  The iburst will affect how quickly your machine decides who to listen
to for the correct time.  It has nothing to do with the speed with which
your machine's clock then syncs to the correct time.

>> If you don't have ... you don't need this line and the
>> netmask is redundant here.

Adam> I'm aware, however specifying everything is preferable to me should
Adam> the defaults change.

Yay.

>>  Add -g to the command line to get it to initially no panic and to set
>> the clock.

Adam> Again, not sure if this is safe on a PDC.

It should be safe for the initial boot.

It *may* not be safe on a restart, especially if you have database software
that expects time to monotonically increase.

I recommend you figure out (as best you can) and *document* your reasons,
and then you can create a ntp.conf file that will implement those choices.

If you discover an overlooked case, you update the documentation and the
config file.

If a case becomes obsolete/irrelevant, ditto.